How to apply
To assist the Director of Retail and Trading in maximising the sales and profit of a multi-site retail business through the effective management of people, resources and budgets. To contribute to strategy and policy development as appropriate and managing the shops staff on a day to day basis.
The post-holder will act as an ambassador for Saint Francis Hospice, ensuring that both they and the retail business supports and endorses the aims and objectives of the Hospice, and thereby ensuring that both customers and suppliers, as well as the wider community, can readily perceive the direct connection between successful trading by Retail and giving their support for the good work of their local Hospice.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. Deputise for Director of Retail and Trading during periods of absence.
2. To pay regular visits to each shop to support and develop Retail Management and ensure each shop is taking full advantage of its trading opportunities. Ensuring business continuity throughout the stores
3. To take the lead on the recruitment, selection, induction, training, motivation, and management of retail management
4. To induct and train the retail management to enable them to recruit the appropriate number of volunteers with the appropriate skills and to prepare, understand and work to volunteer rotas.
5. To manage the recruitment, induction and training of retail volunteers, investigating all opportunities to promote volunteering and developing good relationships with local organisations that supply volunteers for placements.
6. To ensure that all staff and volunteers observe all hospice policies, procedures, codes of practice and manuals as supplied.
7. To ensure that every retail manager/assistant employee has regular appraisal and performance reviews 121 meetings and that information and strategies are in place to ensure effective succession planning. To liaise as appropriate with staff in the organisation who may provide relevant technical expertise for managing individual performance; for example, the HR team.
8. To demonstrate at all times an understanding of the diverse needs of individuals and actively support equality of opportunity.
9. To ensure the allocation of donated goods to the best use of the business.
10. To assist the Director of Retail and Trading in preparing business strategies and producing forecasts of income and expenditure; making proper provision for refurbishment and planned maintenance.
11. To explore opportunities to secure “best value” and for sourcing donations for sale in the shops.
12. To ensure the implementation of all established finance and control systems – Cybertill
13. To attend regular meetings with Retail Management
14. To take a lead role in ensuring that operations at each of the shops are safe and efficient and that all statutory and company health and safety rules are adhered to. Working with the Hospice Health and safety officer
15. To ensure good communication between the Retail head office and retail teams of staff and volunteers
16. To undertake any other tasks as reasonably requested by the Director of Retail and Trading
17. Authorised signatory for small cash/ financial payment.
18. On call at weekends working together with the Director of Retail of Trading
A full breakdown of the role’s responsibilities and requirements can be found here.
Location: Based at Retail Head Office, Harold Hill but with travel around Essex