Are you looking to use your retail skills and experience to make a real difference?
This is an exciting opportunity for a role with Hope Rescue, a busy dog rescue centre in South Wales. The post holder will be responsible for the day to day running of the Hope Rescue charity shop and online sales platforms, in accordance with Hope Rescue policies and procedures, with the aim of achieving optimum profit by maximising sales and controlling direct expenses.
Successful candidates will need a solid retail background. You will be highly motivated, decisive, have strong leadership skills and be able to motivate and manage a large and diverse team. You will need to be adaptive, able to organise yourself and other people effectively to be able to respond quickly to a fast-changing environment. You also need to have a creative and enthusiastic approach that enables you to maximise the potential of our shop.
· Assume overall responsibility for the shop operation including ensuring that the level of staff and volunteers is sufficient to operate effectively.
· Oversee the management of the online sales platforms, check pricing/listing standards, ensure timely posting, manage inventory and storage, drive sales to exceed targets, ensure correct stock is uploaded.
· Recruit, train, manage and support staff and volunteers and adhere to the agreed Hope Rescue standards & policies and any relevant legislation.
· Line manage the charity shop staff.
· Ensure the professional implementation of stock rotation and pricing.
· Maintain a high standard of window and internal displays and presentation of stock.
· Check that the quality of all donated stock on the shop floor is of the required standard.
· Ensure that pricing and ticketing procedures are being implemented consistently.
· Be proactive in the generation of donated stock, including sourcing end of line donations from partners.
· To be ultimately responsible for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring all cash handling and till policies and procedures are followed, maintaining accurate records at all times.
· Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and tidiness in all areas of the shop, stockroom and office.
· Maintain an appropriate income/expenditure budget in collaboration with the Enterprise Development Manager and be accountable for achieving it.
· Seek, utilise and analyse management information including EPOS data to manage shop performance, seizing opportunities for improvement.
· Develop and implement a strategy to maximise income from Gift Aid on donated products.
· Provide regular performance and management reports to the Enterprise Development Manager as directed, and deputise for the Enterprise Development Manager at Management Team/Trustee meetings as required.
· Deliver the highest level of customer service with a positive, motivated attitude, striving to exceed customer, donor and the public expectations and ensuring that this attitude is maintained by all shop staff and volunteers.
· Maximise voluntary income from fundraising and community events, both in-store and at local town centre events.
· Marketing and promotion of the charity shop and online sales platforms including responsibility for the charity shop social media pages.
· Actively promote Hope Rescue initiatives and campaigns to promote awareness of the charity.
· Support the Enterprise Development Manager with the development and implementation an overarching retail strategy.
· Comply with Health & Safety policies and procedures in line with Hope Rescue and statutory standards and rules, ensuring the safety of people and dogs on site at all times.
Education and Qualifications
• 4 GCSEs or equivalent, including English and Maths OR vocational qualification in a relevant subject.
• A full driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
• 3 years retail management.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• A commitment to generating income that supports our work.
• Significant knowledge and understanding of retail operations and high street retail fashion
• Experience of managing a diverse team of people.
• Strong communication skills.
• Experience of visual merchandising.
• Experience of using eBay, not necessarily in a professional capacity.
Demonstrable experience of:
• Increasing sales.
• Achieving and increasing monthly income targets.
• Team management and staff development.
• Delivering high standards of customer care.
• Analysing shop data to take the appropriate actions as required.
• Experience of working in the third sector.
• Experience of charity retail.
• Experience of managing Health and Safety.
• Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers.
• Ability to plan and organise and to ensure that deadlines and agreed targets are met.
• Good IT skills with a knowledge of Microsoft packages and willingness to learn Hope Rescue’s CRM systems and databases.
• Ability to utilise social media, website and email broadcast tools to increase income generation, share our message and gain support.
• A professional empathy with the Hope Rescue Vision, Mission and Values.
Work-related attributes and qualities
• A self-starter, highly motivated and organised.
• Professional, proactive, positive and enthusiastic, with a strong work ethic and “can do” attitude.
• Capable of handling stressful situations while maintaining a positive demeanour.
• Able to exhibit excellent discretion and adhere to professional standards and confidentiality.
• Committed to delivering high standards of customer service and be a genuine team player.
• Flexible approach to working hours and the ability to work weekends and Bank Holidays as required.
A full job description can be found here.
A full personal specification can be found here.
How to apply:
If this sounds like the perfect role for you then please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job type: Permanent
Hours of work: Standard hours are 40 per week and will include weekends and bank holiday working.