An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our retail team as an Area Manager. In this newly created role, you will be responsible for our existing shops and any new shops as they open, supporting ongoing growth and development of our shop network and our retail strategy. We are searching for a results-driven and experienced charity retailer looking for a new challenge, who is passionate about developing people and exceeding targets and goals.
At the National Animal Welfare Trust, we never stop caring for our animals and people. As a rescue and rehoming charity, operating five rehoming centres and shops across the south of England, we are committed to improving the lives of the UK’s pets, helping around 1,500 animals each year.
About the role:
You will be responsible for directly managing and supporting the Shop Managers across our five charity shops (and more as we open them), helping them to deliver their targets. You will develop a strong sense of teamwork, working alongside shop teams to deliver excellent customer service and consistently high levels of retail standards to maximise sales growth in order to support the aims of the charity.
Reporting to the Retail Development Manager, the Retail Area Manager role is hands-on and you will spend the majority of your time in the shops. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Day to day leadership of the shops and their teams.
- Assisting with the development of the retail marketing and promotional strategy.
- Ensuring active relationships with local Centres to promote NAWT objectives.
- Regularly review high street and charity retailers to ensure shops remain competitive within the local market.
- Analysis of sales data to produce reports on operational performance and trends.
- Manage the completion of performance cycles, addressing performance concerns and developing improvement plans where required.
- Ensuring that key business messages are cascaded effectively to all members of the team.
- Identifying training and development needs and develop in house solutions where possible.
- Managing the recruitment and induction of new retail employees, and working with the Volunteer Manager to recruit, induct and train volunteers to provide the required coverage for the shops.
- Provide management cover and support in the shops as required; opening, running, and closing shops as needed.
- Ensuring consistently high standards of cleanliness and good housekeeping.
- Overseeing the security of the shops by maintaining appropriate security procedures and minimising stock loss by taking action to guard against theft.
- Ensure other retail and centre events and initiatives are promoted in the shops.
- Utilise NAWT retail social channels to gain new customers and drive sales.
- Ensure compliance of regulatory requirements within the shops e.g., Sales of Goods Act, Data Protection, Health and Safety, Safeguarding.
You will have a proven track record of achievement in a multi-site retail business environment within the charity retail sector. You will bring with you the following essential skills and experience:
- Experience of multi-site charity shop management.
- Experience of leading, developing and managing a team.
- Evidence of a strong drive to achieve sales results through others.
- Excellent communication, customer care and interpersonal skills.
- A flexible approach to cope with a varied and demanding workload.
- A full UK driving License, with access to a car.
As part of our commitment to making NAWT a great place to work, we offer access to the following employee benefits:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time staff).
- Contributory pension.
- Access to a free 24/7 support service providing support including legal, financial, emotional and medical advice.
How to apply:
If you feel you have the right skills to be a successful Retail Area Manager and make a difference, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The full Job Description for can be viewed on our website: https://www.nawt.org.uk/vacancies/retail-area-manager/
Closing Date: 16th December 2023, however we reserve the right to close the role early should the right candidate apply, do not delay in submitting your application!
Please note that contact will only be made to those applicants who will be invited to interview.
Charity Retail Jobs is sponsored by Precycle Group