Willow are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Communications Officer with a background in retail communications. For the right candidate, there is a possibility of this role being full-time and covering communications across the Charity, as well as Retail.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to really make a difference to our Retail communications and drive support from our local communities, ultimately resulting in the delivery of more Special Days, Treats and Days Out for our beneficiaries.
• To support the Head of Retail and work in collaboration with the Communications Manager in the charity, to deliver the retail communications plan to raise Willow’s retail profile and increase supporter engagement, in the areas where we are based
• To develop and maintain key communications channels, in particular social media, email and website, to engage our Retail supporters
• To develop and upskill our retail staff in the use of their own Retail social media channels and communications
• To work in collaboration with the charity communications team to promote shops and support retail campaigns via all Willow comms channels: publications, digital and PR
• To share and produce collaterals and assets – posters, leaflets, social content – to help promote shops and engage customers
• To visit shops providing training and support to help managers develop their own comms activity, 2 weekly visits backed up with regular calls
• To take ownership and management of the Retail Promotions Calendar
• To develop a network of communications volunteers to provide tailored support for individual shops locally
• To provide reporting on Retail Comms activities, their effectiveness and proposals for future activities
• To review and ensure the effective use of all eproductive communications
• As a member of the shop openings team, to promote new shops in the local area, encouraging donations and volunteering, as well as letting the local community know that we are there
• To undertake any other tasks reasonably required.
• Able to express ideas clearly, verbally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences.
• Ability to think creatively, offering new ideas, concepts and solutions
• Experience working in marketing/PR/communications role in a retail environment
• Understanding of the aims, objectives and activities of the charity
• Experience of managing, producing content and evaluating digital channels: social media, email and web
• Excellent communication, and especially writing skills, with an ability to adjust tone and content appropriately for different target audiences
• Experience of adhering to brand guidelines
• IT and design skills with the ability to commission and design/produce professional looking assets
• Desirable – experience of producing video content
• Regular travel across the county will be required to our retail stores
• Willing to work flexibly, including evenings and weekends as required
• Full driving license
We offer the following competitive benefits package:
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Life Assurance and Group Pension Fund
• Season ticket loan
• Cycle to work scheme
• Flexible Working policy
Our Vision: young adults with life threatening illness and those close to them are able to take full advantage of what life has to offer.
Our Mission: to provide for young adults with life threatening illness and those close to them the motivation to take full advantage of life through memorable Special Day services.
Our Values: we are caring; we are all about special relationships; we cherish people and time; they are our most precious resources; and we have the courage to imagine otherwise
Willow is the only national charity supporting seriously ill young adults aged 16 to 40 through uplifting and unforgettable Special Day services. Our service enables young people and their families to reconnect and refocus on each other while enjoying an activity of their choosing, creating memories they will all treasure forever.
Each Special Day service provides a positive experience to be shared with a partner, parents, siblings, children or close friends. To date, Willow has provided more than 18,000 Special Days for young adults diagnosed with a life-threatening condition such as cancer, motor neurone disease, cystic fibrosis and Huntington’s disease.
Founded by former Arsenal goalkeeper and TV presenter, Bob Wilson and his wife, Megs, Willow is a lasting memorial to their daughter, Anna, who died of cancer aged 31. Anna’s love of life and the enriching experiences of her own Special Days were the charity’s inspiration.
Willow is totally reliant on the generosity of individuals, companies, trusts and foundations to fund its work. Find out more here.
How to apply:
Please send a covering letter and CV to be sent to email@example.com.Uk
Contract: Permanent; Part-time 7.5 hours per week. Will consider flexible working
Location: Welwyn Garden City with the option to work partly from home. Regular travel is required across the 5 Willow retail stores.