The Hospice provides all its services free of charge to the patients and their families. The objective of the retail department is to raise and contribute funds primarily through its group of shops, maximising the profit potential of each shop and growing the business through expansion.
Role within the Department
The logistics manager will be responsible for managing and developing the operation of the retail warehouse, delivery vehicles and shop support. They will be part of the retail office management team.
To provide the best possible logistics service to shops, donators and customers in order to maximise the profit potential for Treetops Retail. Working to target budgets set with the retail manager for furniture sales and shop support, managing the warehouse, the vans and the van staff, and driving forward initiatives for warehouse and shop income such as Gift Aid, furniture cleaning and restoring, eBay/mail order and advertising.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage the van team and warehouse staff and volunteers – to include recruitment, performance management, training and development of both paid and unpaid team members. Full driving licence essential.
- Overall responsibility for the deliveries, collections and transfers of all furniture donated to, and sold by, Treetops Retail. Liaising with the retail manager, donators, shops and customers to ensure a consistently high standard of customer service from the logistics manager and team in order to drive sales and enhance the good reputation of Treetops Hospice Care.
- Work with the van drivers to co-ordinate collections and deliveries in order to make most efficient use of any vehicles and fuel. Oversee upkeep of vehicles to include servicing, repairs, general condition and presentation.
- Make sure the warehouse phone is answered at all times during working hours (answerphone for out of hours) and emails are responded to promptly.
- Ensure health and safety and general relevant training is supplied and complied with both in the warehouse and on the van in order to protect staff, volunteers and the public.
- Work with shop managers and teams in order to promote and develop sales in those outlets
- Develop and manage new income streams for the warehouse, working with the retail manager – see examples listed on page 1.
- Prepare performance reports for retail manager and warehouse records as required.
Other Tasks and Responsibilities
- Attend regular progress and performance meetings with retail manager and any training required by Treetops Retail.
- Conduct and record regular progress and performance meetings with team members.
- Create and manage traceable warehouse systems for furniture, recycling, new goods and service lines.
- Cover van team holidays/sickness/days off, and have regular van shifts in order to understand and contribute to the day to day efficiency and high standard of our collection and delivery service
- Develop postitive relationships with shop teams and treat fairly with the distribution of furniture.
- Assist retail manager with new shop openings, refurbishments and outside projects.
Key Competencies and Skills Requirements
- Numeracy, literacy, and IT skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Flexibility for out of hours work when required
- Good driving and vehicle knowledge. Excellent communication skills and telephone manner, and a friendly positive attitude
- Ability to lead and motivate a team of paid and volunteer staff and work to targets
- Ability to lift and carry furniture and general donations
- Effective time management, initiative and self motivation
- Willingness to learn, develop and be a team player for the good of the department