Bath Cats and Dogs Home is committed to the welfare of companion animals; to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home pets who are unwanted and far too often neglected or mistreated and to promote responsible pet ownership through education.
Staff are committed to delivering first class customer care to all visitors, supporters and other staff in order for the Home to successfully continue to re-home animals and to achieve the long term support of the communities we operate within.
Purpose of the job
To work with the Head of Fundraising & Trading to set short, medium, and long term trading strategy targets for retail through our shops and ecommerce outlets.
To manage the day to day running of our shops and mail-order sales as well as ensure successful supervision of trading functions and staff at Bath Cats & Dogs Home including donations handling and storage and volunteer support.
• To supervise the charity’s full retail operation including existing portfolio of shops and mail-order including sales at the Home to staff, supporters and volunteers.
• To set daily, weekly, monthly and annual sales targets for all trading income streams in conjunction with Head of Fundraising & Trading and to ensure the Trading team are supported to meet those targets.
• Reporting sales actuals from all channels on a weekly basis with takings breakdown.
• Working with Head of Fundraising and Trading to prepare short, medium and long term business plans for trading and working with the trading team to implement plans as agreed.
• To achieve sales targets and control expenses through effective budget management and reporting.
• To line manage the shops and ecommerce teams ensuring they feel motivated and connected to the cause and ensuring continuous development including identifying training needs.
• To provide creative direction and input for shop merchandising, promotions and window displays.
• To support the achievement of annual mail-order sales targets through selecting, photographing and listing items and ensuring the appropriate allocation of team resource to achieve annual growth in sales levels.
• To plan and manage ongoing donations campaigns to secure a pipeline of high-quality donations for shops and mail-order channels and to ensure the efficient sorting and optimum allocation of these donations.
• To work with the Communications team to ensure effective PR and promotional campaigns to increase awareness of the shops and mail order to increase turnover.
• Work with the Head of Fundraising and Trading to research and recommend new sales outlets including pop up shops and permanent premises where appropriate and budget agreed. Support legal agreements process including assessing premises, work needed, fittings and fixtures and seeking out most competitive costs.
• To work with Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and manage trading volunteers for shops and donation sorting. Ensure that volunteers needs are met and they have a clean and appropriate working environment and the process and procedures to follow to ensure efficient stock management, preparation and /or disposal.
• To ensure that BCDH Trading complies with all necessary trading Health & Safety legislation and licensing requirements, that we are an active member of the CRA and adhere to RSPCA Trading guidelines.
• To fulfil any other agreed duties that may at times be reasonably required.
1. Knowledge, skill and experience
a) Education qualifications:
Preferably educated to degree level or equivalent but consideration will also be given to applicants who can demonstrate qualification by relevant experience.
b) Professional/Technical Qualifications/Skills:
• IT skills including Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook – essential
• EPOS skills/experience – essential
• NVQ in retail and/or customer service – desirable
• Emergency first aid at work qualification – desirable
• Health and safety training/skills – desirable
c) Competence/ Experience:
• Proven retail experience Proven sales experience
• Excellent IT skills e.g., Microsoft packages (particularly Excel) plus EPOS experience. Good working knowledge of the internet
• Competence with all aspects of on-line selling i.e. Ebay
• Proven team leadership skills with the ability to manage and motivate the retail team to reach and exceed set targets
• Highly organized, flexible, and self-motivated
• Ability to work on own initiative and to organise and prioritise own workload.
• Car owner with full driving licence.
• Proven customer service skills
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written
• Knowledge of fashion and clothing branding
• Ability to identify or research origins of bric a brac, curios & collectibles & price accordingly
• Ability to research new products
• Must be animal lover and identify with Bath Cats & Dogs Home’s ethos
• Working knowledge of Gift Aid and claim processing
• Charity retail experience
• Knowledge/understanding of the vintage retail market
• Knowledge of companion animal pet products
Bath Cats & Dogs Home Trading Ltd, wholly owned subsidiary of Bath Cats & Dogs Home
3. Job Context
The Retail Operations Manager role is a key position within the trading company working with and reporting to the Head of Fundraising & Trading to set short, medium and long term strategic business plans and ensuring delivery of those plans. The post holder is also responsible for providing creative direction for our retail operation as well as helping to raise awareness of our charity brand within the communities in which our shops operate.
How to apply
Please visit here to apply online