Commercially aware and constantly looking for new business opportunities, shop managers motivate their teams and create a safe and energised environment. They have high standards, a strong drive to achieve results and are accountable for their business.
The role of the shop manager is empowered, varied, busy and gives the opportunity to work with some amazing people.
Shop managers are pivotal to the success of our business and can make a real difference. Butterwick Hospice operates a volunteering model, in which volunteers are empowered to take over most of the tasks within the shop, including running the shop in the manager’s absence.
Often the only paid member of staff, our managers are comfortable in this environment, really enjoying working with others and are great at delegating to their teams. Excellent communicators, they are creative, and always look for opportunities to attract new supporters every day.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Volunteer Team Management
• Recruit, induct and retain an inclusive and diverse volunteer team, which is large enough in numbers and capable to maximise the shop’s income and profitability and guarantee the smooth running of the shop.
• Ensure that ongoing training and development is provided for your team, drawing on the skills of volunteer team members.
• Appropriately and consistently assess the skills and potential of the volunteer team and delegate accordingly.
• Maintain an empowered, motivated and engaged team.
• Manage change and conflict within Butterwick Hospice Care’s policies.
• Maintain excellent levels of communication for both the shop team and within the community, including regular shop team meetings and one to one meetings with volunteers.
• Connect the volunteer team with Butterwick Hospice Care’s work and help them to understand the value of their contribution.
• Provide a safe and healthy working environment and ensure that all team members are aware of and operate within Butterwick Hospice Care’s health and safety policies and procedures, including waste management and customer safety
Sales and Profit
• Develop an appropriate income/expense budget in collaboration with your area retail manager and team and be accountable for achieving it
• Monitor and be accountable for sales and category performance, as well as ensure that the team are aware of and engaged in the shop’s financial performance
• Foster a creative and entrepreneurial shop environment where team members seek to maximise income in new and innovative ways both within the shop and through a variety of channels, such as Ecommerce and community events
• Manage the team to maximise income from Gift Aid on donated products
• Ensure that all of Butterwick Hospice Care financial procedures are adhered to and executed in a timely fashion by the shop team
• Maximise the shop’s opening hours and ensure the shop is open and managed by the shop team in the manager’s absence
• Empower the volunteer team to work with local and national contacts to generate additional income as well as ensuring they are commercially aware
• Be accountable for sourcing sufficient levels of donated stock locally in collaboration with the shop team
• Set high standards of cleanliness, display and merchandising
• Establish efficient and commercially successful stock processing systems (such as pricing, quality standards, consumer safety, stock density and culling stock), including backroom systems and ensure these are adhered to by the volunteer team. Ensure that all legal and Butterwick Hospice Care internal regulations regarding donated stock are adhered to
• Make sure that all procedures for the sale of new products are followed by the volunteer team (if applicable)
• Inspire the team to provide a great customer and donor experience, which enables Butterwick Hospice Care to attract new supporters every day.
• Ensure that feedback, including complaints is responded to within the agreed timeframes
• Empower the team to create original, appropriate and commercially successful visual merchandising displays, including shop windows
• Enable the team to promote seasonal/topical promotions as well as endorse organisational promotions
• Work with the property team to ensure our shops are in good condition, maximise their potential and are fit for purpose
• Provide training, development and performance management of staff
• Work within Butterwick Hospice Care’s policies and procedures when dealing with problems at work
Being part of Butterwick Hospice Care
• Attend and contribute to all Retail Team Meetings
• Play a key role in enabling the shop to represent Butterwick Hospice Care and increase the knowledge of the local community about Butterwick Hospice Care’s mission and work
• Be accountable for the integration of the shop into the local community in collaboration with the shop team
• Empower the team to respond to all appeals and fundraising opportunities.
How to apply:
Please visit here to apply online alternatively send your Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com, or call 01642 628930 for an informal chat about the role.