This is a voluntary role, responsible to the Chair of Trustees.
This is an exciting voluntary opportunity. Sussex Emmaus provides accommodation and meaningful work opportunities for up to 57 people with lived experience of homelessness and social isolation (Companions). We are different from other homeless organisations, in that we provide a home for as long as someone needs it, along with meaningful work in our Community businesses. This stable environment is often just the support Companions need to rebuild their lives. Through structure and learning new skills to help regain confidence, and by addressing any issues that may have led to them becoming homeless, they can find a long-term way to overcome homelessness. For many, the opportunity of a home and meaningful work are life savers, a warm and dry place where they can feel safe and secure and will no longer have to worry about where they are going to sleep each night. Living within a community of peers provides friendship and support, helping to reduce loneliness and social isolation. We support the single homeless, who are often more at risk of remaining so for longer, as they are not always seen as a priority for social, emergency or temporary housing.
Sussex Emmaus is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Turnover is currently c.£1.7m from 7 social enterprises. The team consists of c.70 people (c.55 Companions, staff and volunteers), as well as a Board of Trustees who add a range of skills and experience to the charity.
Emmaus values are:
- Value and respect every person, opposing injustice
- Be transparent and honest in all our dealings
- Demonstrate solidarity and support for those in need
- Create an environment of empowerment
- Share and exchange resources, skills and learning
- Support and foster interdependence and independence
- Work to live and give
The charity is looking for someone with Retail Experience to join our Board to share their experience to develop the offer on site and in satellite/warehouse facilities (present and future), working alongside other Trustees, the CEO and the Business Manager and retail staff and Companions.
All Sussex Emmaus Trustees have the same legal responsibilities. Training and development opportunities are provided to encourage satisfaction in the role and value to the charity and its aims.
This role is flexible and would fit in with an applicant’s other commitments. However, we would expect attendance at Board meetings (currently about every other month 4-7pm on a Wednesday evening) and involvement in a related sub-committee to develop this work.
The successful applicant will be co-opted onto the Board and elected at the following AGM.
The charity’s main site is in Portslade Old Village, with a satellite shop on the seafront in Southwick. We are currently developing our on-line sales as well as looking for a warehouse to enable us to better manage our stock rotation.
This role is specifically responsible for working with the Business Manager to report and advise on internal and external business activities to develop the charity’s knowledge, understanding and strategic vision.
We are looking for someone who is able to offer the following types of experience:
- ‘Contemporary and ‘multi-channeled’ advice and support to the Board of Trustees and the Business Manager in regard to the continuous development and improvement of the charity’s social enterprises.
- Experience of business in a leadership role at a managerial level of a mid to large retail organisation.
- Understanding of Marketing and Comms to support business resilience and growth.
- Experience of working in either the mainstream or charity retail sectors.
- Experience of online and warehousing aspects of retail.
- Experience of lease or acquisition of retail spaces.
- Experience of significant expansion.
- Commitment to the organisation and an interest in homelessness.
- Experience of working at a strategic vision level.
- Willingness to understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship and undertake necessary training.
- To be an effective member of a team and work with trustees, staff, volunteers and Companions.
In addition to this, the following skills are looked for:
- Ability to and/or experience of good, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to bring/share a different perspective, as well as listen to the views of others.
- Ability to develop understanding of Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership skills.
- Some experience of committee work.
- Evidence of applying tact and diplomacy.
- Evidence of good communication and interpersonal skills.
How to apply:
If you are interested in discussing this role, please contact Pam Mitchell, Vice Chair to the Board, at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit to the community to meet some of our team and explore this further over a coffee and a tour of our site and businesses.