SCOTS ENCOURAGED TO JOIN CHARITY SHOP SECRET SANTA CHALLENGE BY ENVIRONMENTAL BODY
The Charity Retail Association’s Christmas campaign, Good Cause Santa Claus has received support from Zero Waste Scotland who are encouraging Scots to get involved.
Secret Santa is a popular game amongst families, friends and work colleagues in which participants randomly assign another member of the group to buy an anonymous gift for. Good Cause Santa Claus involves the same challenge but gifts are to be purchased only in charity shops. Businesses can sign up and receive a campaign pack which includes social media content.
Zero Waste Scotland exists to create a society where resources are valued and nothing is wasted. They are funded by the Scottish Government to help Scotland realise the economic, environmental and social benefits of making best use of the world’s limited natural resources.
Andrew Pankhurst, Recycling Campaigns Manager, Zero Waste Scotland, said:
“I would encourage anyone running a Secret Santa in their office to get behind the Good Cause Santa Claus campaign and pop down their local charity shop this Christmas.
“Buying from a second-hand store is not only good for your wallet and the planet, it’s a great opportunity to support good causes while you shop. The quality of goods on offer is much higher than you might expect and there are some real bargains to be had. Our research* suggests that four in five Scots would welcome a pre-loved gift so you could even pick up presents for your friends and family while you’re at it.”
Rachel Blair, Public Affairs and Communications Officer, Charity Retail Association, said:
“Our #GoodCauseSantaClaus campaign encourages people to buy their Secret Santa gifts in charity shops. Taking part will help the environment and contributes to a good cause raising much needed funds.
“There are great environmental benefits to using charity shops at Christmas – products aren’t going to waste instead they are kept in the economy longer and out of landfill, helping to reduce emissions in Scotland.”
- For further help, please contact our Public Affairs and Communications Officer (Scotland), Rachel Blair on 07565 314 099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be a #GoodCauseSantaClaus this Christmas and buy your Secret Santa gift in your local Charity Shop. Download the campaign pack: https://www.charityretail.org.uk/will-you-be-a-good-cause-santa-claus-this-christmas/
- Charity shops can download printable material to promote the campaign: https://www.charityretail.org.uk/goodcausesantaclaus-materials-launched/
- The Charity Retail Association (CRA) is the only body in the UK which represents the interests of charity retailers. We represent around 85 per cent of all charity stores in Scotland. Our members range from national chains, to individual hospice shops, and everything in between.
- Zero Waste Scotland research: *https://www.zerowastescotland.org.uk/content/new-research-shows-four-five-scots-would-welcome-pre-loved-gifts-christmas