Each year, The Big Lunch brings millions of people together across the UK to celebrate with neighbours and community on the first weekend in June. In 2021, nine million people took part and a massive £7.4 million was raised for charity at Big Lunch events.
This year is extra special as The Big Jubilee Lunch is part of the official celebrations for HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend – 2-5 June 2022 – and The Big Lunch will once again kick start a whole Month of Community.
So, if you’re looking for an opportunity to bring your community together, engage new customers, increase donations or celebrate your volunteers, this could be just the way to do it!
We know that in many areas, charity shops really are at the heart of the community and many already take part in The Big Lunch. But if you’re yet to get involved, there’s still time to join in. Here’s how….
1. Host a Big Lunch or Big Jubilee Lunch event
Either in your store or hospice or if space is a little tight, you could hire a local community space, pack up your stock and host a Big Lunch with your very own charity ‘Pop Up’! Use your event to connect with volunteers, staff and customers and put a call out for donations and specific items you need.
- Sign up for your free digital pack – full of ideas, inspiration and tips to help you plan your Big Lunch or Big Jubilee Lunch. You can get some last minute tips online too!
- Use the editable posters on The Big Lunch website
Add your logo and distribute locally!
- Use this clever online tool from More Human to generate beautiful posters, web and social content, and a handy task list.
- Publicise your event by popping it on The Big Lunch Map
2. Host a Big Lunch as part of the Month of Community
The Big Lunch takes place annually on the first weekend in June, and this year once again kicks off a whole Month of Community, so you can join in whenever suits you in June! There are lots of great initiatives that are part of the Month of Community – including Volunteers Week, Carers Week and Small Charities week.
If you’re looking for a way to celebrate and thank your volunteers, why not do it with a Big Lunch? It could be as simple as an afternoon with tea and cake!
Use all of the resources listed above to publicise your event and download some ‘Say hello’ stickers and the Month of Community Badge too.
3. Publicise or take part in local events
Over 10 million people are expected to take part this year, with thousands of events taking place right across the UK. So, if you don’t organise an event, you could simply get involved in others already planned in your area.
- Search The Big Lunch Map to find public events near you
- Help promote a local Big Lunch in your store and on your social media channels.
- Find a local Big Lunch and set up a ‘donation station’ for people to donate unwanted items.
- Find a local Big Lunch and offer to put on a fashion show at the event, showcasing your stock.
- Find a local Big Lunch and ‘Pop up’ with items to sell
However you plan to get involved, we want to hear about it!
Let us know what you’re planning by contacting Anna Pashley, Corporate Partnerships Manager at Anna@charityretail.org.uk and when the big day comes, take lots of photos and share on social media using #TheBigLunch #TheBigJubileeLunch #MonthOfCommunity