Generating over £270m per year in profit and harnessing the skills of more than 221,000 volunteers nationwide, charity retail promotes charitable causes and an environmentally sustainable retail experience.
The Charity Retail Association is the only body in the UK that represents the interests of charity retailers. Our members run over 8500 shops between them.
Shop for the Future: The CRA’s 3-year strategic plan
Click here to download CRA’s new 3 year strategy, Shop for the Future.
In a clear and concise way, Shop for the Future sets out our intentions over the next few years and sets them into the context of the charity retail scene. Feel free to distribute it as widely as you wish.
We work to:
- Influence and monitor legislation and regulations that affect charity retailing.
- Promote the benefits of charity retailing to the environment, the community and to charity.
- Be the major source of expertise and up-to-date information on issues affecting the charity retail sector.
- Promote good practice.
- Work closely with other relevant organisations to support our members.
A successful charity retail sector in the UK, actively promoted and supported by the Charity Retail Association.
What we do
- Effective lobbying and public relations on behalf of our members on key issues including Gift Aid improvements, correct waste charging, donated stock supply
- Promoting good practice and increased public support for charity retailing
- Carry out and commission research, market analysis, guidance and information about charity retailing
- Host the Charity Retail Conference, Exhibition and Awards
- Offer training opportunities and support
- Host active special interest groups and networking opportunities
- Provide an online discussion forum
- Offer free advice lines covering legal matters and security
Who we are
Board of Directors
- Ben Merrett (Chair) – DEBRA
- Gerard Cousins (Vice Chair) – Mencap
- Steve Biddle – Consultant
- Julie Byard – Cancer Research UK
- Jonathan Capewell – LOROS
- Roy Clark – Barnardo’s
- Dan Corns – St Richard’s Hospice
- Paul Drury – Bethany Christian Trust
- Lorna Fallon – Cats Protection
- Lesley Gorton – Helen and Douglas House
- Chantelle Milne – Woking and Sam Beare Hospices
- Graham Richardson – Ashgate Hospice
- Allison Swaine-Hughes – British Heart Foundation
- Anne Webb – Oxfam GB
Olaia Alamos Castresana
She has an extensive background in finance and has previously held positions in management accounting, project finance, fixed asset accounting as well as treasury in various industries including the not- for- profit sector.
Shona has 17 years experience in public affairs, gained from a variety of roles; she started her career working in Westminster for Scottish MPs and then went on to work in policy and lobbying roles for a number of regulatory bodies and trade associations in the legal, banking, cultural and energy efficiency sectors.
Matt graduated with a first in Politics from the University of Nottingham and recently completed an MA in Political Communication at City University London.
Susan looks forward to expanding membership further, developing members services and bringing the Association to a wider audience.
She has previously held positions in marketing and PR companies and was the Assistant Director for the trade association for employment agencies.