We provide leadership and support for charity retailing in the UK. Our 390+ members range from the largest national charities to locally based charities and hospices, running over 8900 shops between them.
There is a listing of some of our member benefits below, and you can also view a comprehensive listing in our A to Z of services.
- Industry-standard Gift Aid training and guidance in collaboration with HMRC, following the successful completion of negotiations on the revised guidance
- Effective lobbying and PR on key issues, such as business rates, waste disposal charges, Gift Aid improvements, and donated stock
- Promotion of best practice and high standards, including our Primary Authority partnership with Salford City Council and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
- Generating increased public support for charity retailing, for example #GoodCauseSantaClause, encouraging corporate Secret Santas to use charity shops, and our Social Value work
- Discounted attendance to the sell-out, two-day Charity Retail Conference, Exhibition and Awards
- Regular, exclusive market analysis and benchmarking reports, covering shop chain number change and turnover, all shop sales streams, gift aid conversion, rag prices, salaries, selling prices and more
- A mentoring platform where you can register as a mentor or mentee, and be matched in a managed and guided process
- Your shops appear on the most popular page of our website – Find a Charity Shop – encouraging donors and volunteers to your shops
- Free legal advice line and free security hotline
- Interest groups and members’ meetings – valuable networking opportunities in 6 subject areas
- Sharing of knowledge through our online forum, giving you access to the best charity retail brains in the country
- Discounted recruitment advertising and property advertising
- Access to the exclusive members’ area of our website, containing a wealth of guidance and resources, such as the Minimum Standards Checklist and How to choose a textile recycler
- Regular news and events updates, keeping you in touch with the latest sector issues and opportunities
Membership is open to:
- Registered charities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Exempt charities
- Charity subsidiary trading companies
- Charitable community benefit societies
… that run or are interested in running shops.
Charities outside the UK may apply to be Overseas Members (this also applies to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man).
Membership applications are subject to approval by the CRA Board of Directors.
We run a 15 months for the price of 12 offer. This commences in December 2018 so applications can take effect as of 1 January 2019, seeing your membership through until 31 March 2020.
Please read carefully as invoices will be based on the following information. The appropriate fee band will be calculated based on the number of permanent shops.
- Minimum fee: £233 plus VAT pa
- Charities with 0-4 shops: £233 plus VAT pa (ie. the minimum fee)
- Charities with 5-20 shops: £47.50 plus VAT per shop pa
- Charities with 21-100 shops: £45.50 plus VAT per shop pa
- Charities with 101+ shops: £38.50 plus VAT per shop pa, up to max 550 shops
Temporary and overseas shops
- Temporary shops are in, or expected to be in operation for less than 6 months at 1 January 2019
- Overseas membership is for charities running shops outside the UK
- Temporary and overseas shops are charged at half the rate for permanent shops plus VAT, subject to minimum fee of £233 plus VAT per annum.
Membership year: 1 April to 31 March
Please do not send payment with your application as you will be invoiced for your membership fees. You can then pay by either cheque or BACS. We do not accept credit card payments.
Membership fees 2019-20
Fees below are net and per annum.