The charity retail sector generates more than £295m surplus funds per year from more than a billion pounds of turnover, and harnesses the skills of more than 234,000 volunteers nationwide. Charity retail promotes charitable causes and an environmentally sustainable retail experience.
The Charity Retail Association is the only body in the United Kingdom that represents the interests of charity retailers. Our members run more than 8,900 shops between them.
Shop for the Future: our three-year strategic plan (2017-2020)
Download [pdf format] our three-year strategy: Shop for the Future.
It sets out our intentions over the next few years and sets them into the context of the charity retail scene. Feel free to distribute it as widely as you wish.
We work to:
- Influence and monitor legislation and regulations that affect charity retailing.
- Promote the benefits of charity retailing to the environment, the community and to charity.
- Be the major source of expertise and up-to-date information on issues affecting the charity retail sector.
- Promote good practice.
- Work closely with other relevant organisations to support our members.
A successful charity retail sector in the UK, actively promoted and supported by the Charity Retail Association.
What we do
- Effective lobbying and public relations on behalf of our members on key issues including Gift Aid improvements, correct waste charging, donated stock supply
- Promoting good practice and increased public support for charity retailing
- Carry out and commission research, market analysis, guidance and information about charity retailing
- Host the Charity Retail Conference, Exhibition and Awards
- Offer training opportunities and support
- Host active special interest groups and networking opportunities
- Provide an online discussion forum
- Offer free advice lines covering legal matters and security
Who we are
Board of Directors
- Steve Biddle – Consultant
- David Borrett – Sue Ryder
- Julie Byard – Cancer Research UK
- Roy Clark – Barnardo’s
- Sarah Coles – The Hospice of St Francis
- Dan Corns – St Richard’s Hospice
- Simon Dodd – The Donna Louise Children’s Hospice
- John Egan – Naomi House Children’s Hospice
- Lorna Fallon – Cats Protection
- Jay Hogarty – Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland
- Emma Peake – The Air Ambulance Service
- Graham Richardson – Ashgate Hospice
- Allison Swaine-Hughes – British Heart Foundation
- Anne Webb (Chair) – Oxfam GB
|Robin Osterley Chief Executive Officer
Robin Osterley joined the Association as Chief Executive in November 2015. After an early career in IT, he moved into the third sector and has more than 20 years experience of running membership organisations with a charitable purpose, including sports campaigning organisation Supporters’ Direct and the largest arts umbrella group in the country, Making Music. He has sat on numerous Government committees and forums, and does a great deal of local volunteering in his “spare” time.
|Alex Angelakis Events Officer (maternity cover)
Alex joined in February 2018 as Events Officer to provide maternity cover for Julia Cloke. He holds a BA (Hons) Degree from the University of Winchester. He has previously worked in events management, overseeing the delivery of training courses across the United Kingdom for more than four years.
|Rachel Blair Public Affairs and Communications Officer (Scotland)
Rachel joined the Association in September 2018 as the Public Affairs and Communications Officer for Scotland. Full biography to follow.
|Olaia Alamos Castresana Research Manager
Olaia joined the Association in November 2015 to lead our research programme, which keeps members informed and helps them benchmark performance, whilst also supporting our public affairs and policy work. She has experience working with not-for-profit organisations and commercial retailers. She holds a BA(Hons) Business Administration from the University of the Basque Country and an MSc in International Fashion Marketing from Heriot-Watt University.
|Mark Chapman Communications and Digital Manager
Mark joined the Association in July 2017 to manage our communications and media relations, plus promote a positive reputation for the charity retail sector in various forms of media. He has more than 15 years of experience in media and communications, working mostly in the sporting and not-for-profit sectors.
|Julia Cloke Head of Events (maternity leave)
Julia joined the Association in May 2015 to organise and develop the training and events programme. Previously she worked at Diabetes UK organising residential events for children with Type 1 diabetes. She also worked as part of the wider team to deliver their annual professional conference.Prior to this, she was responsible for events at a small educational charity where she organised training days, awards ceremonies and their flagship conference. Julia is currently on maternity leave.
|Dorothy Ferguson Finance Manager
Dorothy joined the Charity Retail Association in August 2016 to manage and report on the Association’s finances.She has an extensive background in finance and has previously held positions in management accounting, project finance, fixed asset accounting as well as treasury in various industries including the not-for-profit sector.
|Matt Kelcher Head of Public Affairs and Research
Matt joined the Association in August 2015 to head up the Association’s policy and advocacy work on behalf of its members. He has significant experience of policy making having previously served as a researcher and advisor on small business policy in Parliament and a policy officer in local government.
Matt graduated with a first in Politics from the University of Nottingham and recently completed an MA in Political Communication at City University London.
|Susan Meredith Head of Member Services
Susan has looked after charity member services at the Association since July 2005, and after a variety of responsibilities, including the website, IT and finance, she is now responsible for member services covering charities and corporate.
Susan looks forward to expanding membership further, developing members services and bringing the Association to a wider audience.
|Irina Preda Administrator
Irina joined in February 2018 to offer support to our Member Services and Events planning. She holds a BA (Hons) Degree in English and Spanish Philology and a Masters Degree in Human Resources.
She has previously worked in retail banking and event co-ordination.